"While He was in Bethany at the home of Simon the leper, and reclining at the table, there came a woman with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume of pure nard; and she broke the vial and poured it over His head."
Mark 14:3
Broken and poured out. I am encouraged by this woman, who took what was likely the most expensive thing that she owned, and poured it out over the Lord. I must admit, I also feel a slight pang of conviction, because I am looking forward to tomorrow, and the end of the liquid-only portion of this fast. I feel that still small voice inside me, asking if I am poured out. Asking if I have given everything that I am, and all that I have, to God.
Have I been fasting with purpose? Have I been glorifying the Lord? Have I done my best?
While in my flesh I know that I have not "cheated", in my spirit I am convinced of my need for the Savior. "All have fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23). I am not good on my own. I have not been able to fast on my own strength and within my own power. If not for the resurrected power of the Holy God working in me and through me, I am nothing. And, though I am saved by grace, it is not enough to be made whole by that saving grace. I must be broken again. Wrecked for Christ's sake. And poured out. I am personally interpreting that to mean that the work Jesus is doing within me, is not meant for me. I am meant to be a part of a much larger whole. I am and was created to serve. To take the river within me, God's spring of life, and pour it out on His Bride, the Church, like this woman poured out her perfume over Christ.
As my stomach grumbles with hunger, I hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, begging to be let out. Clawing at the very pit of me, wanting to be released on the world. What if we all used this fast to propel us to more sincere, whole-hearted, wrecked-for-Christ service? What if we were all willing to be poured out? Can't you just imagine the smile on the Savior's face?
I'm ready, Lord!
Break me!
--Julie--
No comments:
Post a Comment