"But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash you face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.'"
Matthew 6:17-18
Day 3 is one of the hardest days of fasting. Your body has started going into starvation mode and you will begin feeling sluggish and irritable. Fight the urge to lash out. Beware of pride, as you are tempted to feel "more holy" than others- maybe even in your own house- that aren't called to fast as you have. Today it is crucial to remain steadfast in prayer. Take a shower, say a prayer. Drink some water, say a prayer. When my kids have toast for breakfast, and the smell of melted butter and golden wheat bread wafts through my house, I stop and remember Jesus' words in Matthew 6 about fasting. God is an unseen God. Though we can see His miracles, signs, and can feel His presence, we cannot go anywhere are look at His face. But He sees us. He is always watching. I don't know about you, but that is comforting to me when I am tempted. Knowing that not only am I not alone, but God is actively watching me, makes it easier to honor Him while I fast. I do not have to stand on a mountain and shout to the Heavens, "God! Did you see that? I didn't eat that leftover mac n' cheese from the kids' dinner!! No one was looking, and still I didn't touch it! Did you see me?" I keep His presence at the forefront of my mind, and I resolve not to fail in honoring Him with my fast. It is good to cry out to God when you feel tempted to eat, or eat something you have determined to fast from. But challenge yourself not to do as the Pharisees did. Instead, go into your room, close the door, and let your struggle be between you and God. "...and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." And, my friend, as we honor Him through this fast, I am beside myself in anticipation of what that reward might be!
--Julie--
No comments:
Post a Comment