"Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord. And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ"
1 Peter 2:1-5
This passage of scripture likens those of us in Christ to newborn babies. Newborns are, or maybe it was just that my own 9-pound newborns were, constantly hungry. Longing for nutrition and sustenance. Longing for mother's milk. In the same way, we are supposed to be longing for the pure Word of God. That is where life comes from. I love that Peter writes that from the devouring of the Word, we are supposed to grow in relation to Salvation. I interpret this to mean that we are supposed to be living out our Salvation. We live on this side of the Cross, where grace and mercy and love abound. Fulfilled is the law, and heaven awaits those who accept Salvation through Jesus. This is the area where we are to mature. Mature in faith. Have you tasted the kindness of the Lord lately? Have you been feeding on the Word? Have you tasted the sweet victory on Calvary? Do you walk in the maturity of grace and love in Jesus? I don't know about you, but I sure am longing for the pure milk of the Word today. I am just about done with this whole 'fruits and veggies' thing, and I hunger for a fresh revelation from God. As I watched my children thank God for their fish sticks last night, I was convicted to thank God for the pure milk of the Word. For it is by this Word that we live, grow, mature, and in return share with others. The kindness of the Lord tastes sweeter than any piece of chocolate. As we fast, we are offering ourselves as a living sacrifice to a living and present God, who wants us to grow up to be like His Son. Today my perspective is this: I do not have to fast. My faith allows me the freedom to be obedient, and this fast is a fast of thankfulness for the liberty in Jesus I am trying to mature in, live from, and enjoy. Today, get in the Word, and you will taste and see that the Lord is good. He will sustain you, offer you fresh perspective, and an opportunity to grow in Salvation.
No comments:
Post a Comment