Zechariah 7
Once you have made it this far in fasting, it is tempting to consider extending it. Beware pride. We all fall into the trap of thinking that we are fasting on our own power.
In the Old Testament, God gave Moses some rules. The rules weren't just "laws" as we think of governing rules for behavior. These rules were a standard. A calendar and a detailed list of what makes God happy. I don't know about you, but sometimes I think following God's will for my life is a moving target. I wish I had a set of rules to follow that I know would please the Father in Heaven!
In this chapter of Zechariah, we see that the Israelites got confused for their fasting and feasting. Both of these dedicated times, with specific pre-determined days, were consecrated and holy for the Lord.
I, personally, set my fast for 21 days, to honor God. I don't believe it will honor God more if I extend this fast. If you are considering extending this time of fasting, I challenge you to spend some time in prayer, discerning if this call is from God, or from pride. Remember, if drawing closer to God is your goal every day, both times of fasting and feasting can be holy to the Lord. Take time to allow God to speak to you about your fasting experience. Ask God to help you reflect on the ways your fast has softened your heart and influenced you to change. Focus on Him, and He will direct your path.
No comments:
Post a Comment