Saturday, August 8, 2009

Uuhhh....Sotomayor sworn in ?

Ok, I just cannot avoid making this one point on the seperation of church and state issue that has the whole city of Lodi buzzig right now.
Still reeling from Wednesday's prayer rally and news coverage, I cannot promise that this will be the last you will hear from me on the subject, but I do promise that I am not a Bible-thumping soapbox-toting Christian out to defend my beliefs (at least not via this medium).
This morning, Sonja Sotomayor was sworn in as an associate justice of the Supreme Court. Complete with her hand on a Bible -held by her mother, and the words "...so help me God."
Didnt the people who speak so ignorantly on the seperation of church and state see the coverage all over every news channel this morning?? Didnt they see the Bible?? Didnt they hear those words?? Where are they, hunkered in their houses, with no televisions?? Come on, people! WAKE UP!!! This country was founded on religious freedom - the freedom to have a relationship with God Almighty without the rules of the Church of England. Dont you know your history??
There is no seperation of God and the government. And no matter how hard people try to remove His Holy Name from documents, currency, and the Pledge of Allegiance, He will always be there. You cannot get-rid of God.
And I, personally, take comfort in that, thankyouverymuch!

No comments:

Post a Comment