If you are like me, you try to cram as much into the hours of the day as possible... If you are like me, you have good intentions for planning and preparing dinner, BUT.... if you are like me, those good intentions don't always come to fruition.... Enter: a little help. Ok, ok... a LOT of help.Kathi Lipp, author of favorites The Husband Project and The Me Project, has come up with a solution for the problems too many of us busy moms have (the pizza guy on speed dial) with her new book The "What's For Dinner" Solution.
I have committed to taking the 5-day Blogger challenge, where I will be posting for 5 days, 5 different "projects" straight from Kathi herself. I received a copy of her fantastic book for my efforts, and I have an extra one, too. To give away to one of you!! So please post your comments, and you never know: Kathi might just show up on our thread!!
Da-da-da-daaaa: Project #1 is the Share Your Menu project. So I am going to outline my menu for Monday through Friday. I am also going to introduce the LOOP meal (Left Overs On Purpose) and show you how to re-use that plain-jane leftover chicken in something else during the week. This saves time AND money! I really am excited about it....
So, because we are on-the-go, and I never now what time that husband of mine will be home from work, here is my very basic menu:
Monday: I am going to put 6-8 chicken thighs (you can use breasts if you prefer) in two separate croc-pots on Monday morning, so they can cook on low for about 8 hours. I want them ready at about 6pm, so they need to be in by 10am. (this doesn't mean AT 10am. You can put them in sooner, or cook them a little longer. Its all about ease for YOU).. I am going to use a 12oz container of chicken broth per croc. At dinner time I am going to cook some rice pilaf (of the Rice-A-Roni, from a box variety) and serve salad. Since I rarely chop my own, I always have a bag of Fresh Express handy. I will season only the chicken we eat, with a little garlic salt and lemon pepper.
My family usually eats about 4 or 5 thighs of shredded chicken, so this will allow us plenty to reuse throughout the week. Chicken is our favorite protein and is (in my opinion) the most versatile. I serve the chicken on top of the rice, and voila! dinner is ready, with minimal stress.... Bon Appetite.
Tuesday: LOOP Meal #1 I am going to season some of that leftover chicken with taco seasoning, and serve chicken tacos! This will also utilize the leftover rice, if any.. Remember, save those leftovers!
On Thursday I am going to make spaghetti, so all leftover chicken can go into the sauce, as opposed to traditional beef. This stretches one no-fuss day of cooking chicken in the croc-pot into THREE meals!
Wednesday: On Wednesdays our church hosts a mid-week program of Bible studies called Thrive. They also serve a healthy dinner before hand, for $3/person. They even offer child-friendly choices. So this is what we will be doing for dinner on Wednesday...
Thursday: Spaghetti!! (and salad, of course).
Friday: Another LOOP favorite and Friday treat n our home: Pizza Bread! I don't quite know why it is called pizza beard, but my mom used to make this for my brother and I when we were kids, and I now make it for my family: spread leftover spaghetti sauce over french bread, cover with shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever your prefer) and bake for about 10 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted. Serve with salad!
If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment, or visit Kathi Lipp's Website or her Facebook Page!
No comments:
Post a Comment