| the very pages of my own Bible |
Since I started fasting, on January 1, God put James on my heart, along with the theme of this year: humility. It just so happens that I had previously purchased Beth Moore's most recent study, James. So after soaking in the first chapter for a week, and started to memorize each of the 108 verses, I decided to watch session 1.. WOW.
Every time I think that I have God all figured out, every time I think that I am on the path of His will, every time I get comfortable with the season and phase of my life - even in the midst of trials - God shows up and hits me right between the eyes. He knocks me back to my knees, as He is known to do. He wakes me up and makes my heart race with anticipation and awe.
I thought that I knew about James, (half)brother of Jesus. Ha! That's what I get for thinking!
If you travel with me through the pages of the God-breathed holy Scriptures, you will see that we are actually first introduced to James in the book of Matthew. Matthew 13:55 lists James first in a list of "brothers" to Jesus. And we know that it is really half-brothers. Same Mom. Different Dad.
In the culture in which Jesus was raised, when talking about sons, one would always list the oldest first. So we see, in all likelihood, James is the oldest of the sons born to Joseph and Mary. Jesus and James must have had a special relationship.. They grew up together, they ate together, they played as children *my assumption* together. There was at least seven children in that household (Matt 13:55-56) and based on those numbers, one would have to assume that they were all close. I mean, it's not like they lived in a palace and each had their own room! I imagine the elbow room in their small and modest house was scarce!
All this to say that later in His life, Jesus proclaims the Disciples as His family, His "brothers and mother" (Mark 3:31-35). We are even told that His natural brothers denied Him. (Mark 3:21). Enter the "Spiritual" family. The "family" of man becomes the "family" of God. John 19:25-27 paints a picture that feels like the last rights of a man. Doesn't that sound odd? Something that is seen with the human eye can evoke an emotion that we feel? Sounds like God to me!
I see Jesus here saying that we are all family. That we don't have to have natural born children to have children - we can have Spiritual children. It's like an informal adoption. A general understanding of love. Not the hierarchy of lineage, but a love for someone that surpasses all of that.
Then.... just when I understand that theme in my own life.... WHAM! There it is - the Truth made more complete to me. 1 Cor 15:7 says that after Christ was raised, before He ascended , He appeared to James!!!!!!!! It's like the old familiar military slogan 'no man left behind'. Suddenly it didn't matter who James thought was his brother, Jesus knew that James needed to see Him. Needed to taste salvation. The sweet victory Christ accomplished on that Cross. Beth said it so plainly, and perfectly, "He (Jesus) redeemed His family. Just when we thought He replaced them, He goes back to fetch them."
In Christ, "family" may look like different things to different people. But a truth remains: In Christ, "family" grows!!!!
As part of my attempt to memorize the book of James in it's entirety, I am going to type it out, on here. As I learn it, and dissect it.
James has 5 chapters and 108 verses...
Note: inside the parenthesis are my own revelations, as some of the wording I have referenced in the original text of the Book, as noted in the Hebrew-Greek key word study Bible, NASB version that I am currently using.
"James, a bond-servant (means voluntary servant. some translations say 'slave', implying that James was forced into following this faith, but infact he chose to!) of God, and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad, greetings. [2] Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials (this word means 'a putting to proof by experiment'. I will now see these trials that I face as a chance to prove what I believe, more than just as an opportunity to learn.), [3] knowing that the testing (means the trustworthiness) of your faith produces endurance."
To me, these verses are saying that I need to be cheerful, to have joy - which is a fruit of the Spirit - while proving my faith. While living it, on my shirt sleeve, in the open, to bear witness. There is no season without some type of trial, even a trivial (hehe) ones. So I need to live in such a way as to be glad for the circumstances that I am in, that I can be joyful in proving my faith, as to produce the endurance needed to finish (Hebrews 12:1).
Lord, thank You for Your Word. For every God-breathed word that is on every divinely-inspired page.
Thank You that it is always relevant, and it is always new.
I praise You, God, that you allow me opportunities to prove me faith. That I can reflect over the trials I have faced, and see Your handwriting. Your Name etched on the pages of my past.
Holy are You, Lord.
I praise You for bringing me to the place I am, and for blessing me with fresh revelation. Bless You, God, for speaking to me anew every time I seek You.
Let me never be satisfied. Let me hunger and thirst for You, so deeply, that I would live constantly seeking Your will, guidance, grace and mercy.
I love You, Lord Almighty. All I am is Yours.
In the miraculous Name of Christ the Redeemer,
Amen.
Thanks for joining me on this journey,

No comments:
Post a Comment