Matthew 6:16 warns us, "Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full."Do not put on sackcloth and ash, and mourn the death of King Stomach. Is that really fasting, anyway? Fasting is the intentional denial of food, for purpose of spiritual growth. No one can fast - I mean truly FAST - unless it is on purpose. Otherwise, it is just an observance of a spiritual practice that you don't really believe in, or a diet. And let me tell you - if you think that dieting like this, by not eating, will help you long-term, you are disillusioned. You may lose a few pounds initially, but your body, for fear of starvation, will turn to fat and store anything you eat. And if you try to burn those calories, you will crash.
Complaining about being hungry, looking sullen, and mentioning to everyone that you are fasting for purpose of adoration, is not true fasting.
Matthew 6 goes on to say, in verses 17 and 18, "But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
I believe that sharing the experience can enhance your faith, and grow someone else's. And if I have boasted, I pray my Father forgive me.
Our Father, MY Father, Lord God of all. Holy is Your name.
You are the Author and Perfecter of my faith and I praise You.
God, rain down Your will from Heaven. Fashion me on earth as I am with You in Heaven.
Have Your way in my life, in my home, on earth.
All I am and all I have is Yours.
Let my life song sing to You.
Pour our Your provision, for today. In each moment, be all I need. Be all I want.
As I cry out for justice, mercy and peace, hear my prayers. Restore me.
Forgive me, Lord. I am a sinner. Ruthless in nature, and unworthy of your grace.
Wash me clean in the Blood of the Lamb, that I may serve You.
As I commit my life to You, remove the stumbling blocks and clear my path.
Set me on solid ground, and restore my soul.
I long for You. Oh, to sit at Your feet for eternity! What a glorious thought.
I love You, Lord. Only You.
May this life be glorifying to You.
In the Name of Christ Jesus, who nailed Himself to the Cross, that victory may be won,
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment