Fasting, like giving and praying, is a Biblical principal designed to bring us closer to God. Essentially, fasting "unclutters" our perception and allows us to see more clearly through spiritual eyes.
Fasting, combined with prayer, unleashes God's power.
We are called to three basic principles, in the "religion" of Christianity: Giving, Praying, and Fasting. (see Matthew 6).
As a follower of Jesus, not necessarily someone who is "religious", I am interested in doing what He did, to follow the example He laid out in Scripture, and to let Him purify me, that I may serve Him for all eternity.
I am not implying that the ramifications of not fasting are dilutions of faith, nor will not observing this principle effect your salvation. I am suggesting that if you are indeed a Christian, who does not fast, in any way or at any time, you may be missing out on a blessing.
God wants to bless us, to lift us up, and to fulfill us in ways that our earthly minds cannot even begin to understand. Fasting is a way to get past your flesh, and open your spiritual eyes.
There are several different types of fasts. And there are about as many variations as there are people who observe fasting. When the year started, I was uncertain of exactly what I was going to do. I just started liquid-only, knowing that when I devoted myself to prayer and focusing on what God was telling me, I would get the direction that I was desperate for. And I did.
I am currently on day 3. Well, in a few short hours day 3 will be over. And not a crumb of food has touched my lips. Coffee, water, and milk have been my staples.
Today I stepped on the scale, because I had a feeling that I had already lost some weight. Now, let me just say: I AM NOT FASTING TO LOSE WEIGHT. PERIOD. I have been clouded in my reasonings in years past, but this year is unlike any year. I have accepted that when I focus on the things that matter to the world, I reap shallow results. Last year I was so focused on that damn scale, that I did not lose even a single pound.
I know you may think that that is impossible, to fast without food for 7 days and without meats, carbs or sweets for another 14 after that, and not lose a pound, but it happened. And I believe that it happened because I was focusing energy on my weight and not on God as much as I should have been.
This year I am sold out for Christ.
I just happened to notice that my pants were looser, and I was curious - because of the results last year.
I am down four pounds, just for the record. But to be honest, I do not care at all. I care that I have been more in the Word, and have devoted more time to prayer than I do in the hustle-and-bustle of daily living.
I have read and reread and reread Genesis 1. Kevin and I are doing daily devotionals. I am reading the kids a daily devotional, at bed time.
I am reading the book of James. I am completely in love with James' letter to the Tribes of Israel. I love that the entire thing speaks volumes about humility, and what it means to be humble. Not poor, but the beautiful humility that comes out of honest and devoted living for GOD.
If you want more information, I highly recommend Jentezen Franklin's materials. It revolutionized the way I thought about fasting and motivated me to do my first one, a couple years ago. I haven't been the same since!

No comments:
Post a Comment