It seems I could write novels about the exploitations of my little brother. Seriously, novels. But the latest development is far more different and complex than any other. At least, thus far.
Sit back, get comfy, and let me paint the dramatic and heartbreaking tale:
Ryan has been ill for a few weeks now. Just sick. It started with flu-like symptoms which prompted a doctor's visit on February 4th. I took him in and the doctor dismissed him with a 5-second look-over. It's just the flu...... or so we thought.
Fast forward a week to the 10th. Ryan seems fine and we go pheasant hunting with Dad, Rick and Becky. We has a great time. By the 11th, Ryan is bundled in blankets and literally throwing-up everything.
On the 12th my parents take him into the ER, on the advice of the doctor. After some blood work and a spinal tap, the ER doctor is able (thank-You, Lord!) to rule out meningitis. It seems Ryan has sepsis at this point. He comes home and sleeps most of the 13th. On the 14th he thought he felt slightly better, and even had lunch with my family.. By the evening of the 14th, Ryan is again in distress.
While in the ER this time, his stool culture from the 12th comes back, and Ryan has colitis. (CDC). They also determine that Ryan has pneumonia in the bottom lobe of his left lug.
SO...
Where does that leave him, you might be wondering?
He is currently in a segregated room at Lodi Memorial, getting antibiotics and fluids via iv. He is restless and his moods fluctuate. (wouldn't you think yours would too if you were cooped up?) We hope that Ryan will be home later this week. For now, our contact is limited, and we have to gown-up and adorn those grey hospital gloves to even go into his room. We try to be positive and upbeat about this whole experience. But it is hard to keep in mind that, at least this time, Ryan's hospitalization is not due to his own actions.
I am struggling to empathize with him, and I keep the issue on the top of my short-list with God.
Sometimes I wish life would be easier. Or less stressful.
Then I take a refresher course in Christ-Following-101 and I remember that we are not called to a life of ease. We are not called to be comfortable. We are not called to be of the world, with her disgusting ego and gross air of entitlement. We are called to take up our cross and follow Him who went before us, daily. We are called to die to sin, and thus die to self. We are to serve, not self-serve. We are called to love and give, not hate and take. I am so grateful God slaps me upside the head and keeps my selfishness in check.
Sit back, get comfy, and let me paint the dramatic and heartbreaking tale:
Ryan has been ill for a few weeks now. Just sick. It started with flu-like symptoms which prompted a doctor's visit on February 4th. I took him in and the doctor dismissed him with a 5-second look-over. It's just the flu...... or so we thought.
Fast forward a week to the 10th. Ryan seems fine and we go pheasant hunting with Dad, Rick and Becky. We has a great time. By the 11th, Ryan is bundled in blankets and literally throwing-up everything.
On the 12th my parents take him into the ER, on the advice of the doctor. After some blood work and a spinal tap, the ER doctor is able (thank-You, Lord!) to rule out meningitis. It seems Ryan has sepsis at this point. He comes home and sleeps most of the 13th. On the 14th he thought he felt slightly better, and even had lunch with my family.. By the evening of the 14th, Ryan is again in distress.
While in the ER this time, his stool culture from the 12th comes back, and Ryan has colitis. (CDC). They also determine that Ryan has pneumonia in the bottom lobe of his left lug.
SO...
Where does that leave him, you might be wondering?
He is currently in a segregated room at Lodi Memorial, getting antibiotics and fluids via iv. He is restless and his moods fluctuate. (wouldn't you think yours would too if you were cooped up?) We hope that Ryan will be home later this week. For now, our contact is limited, and we have to gown-up and adorn those grey hospital gloves to even go into his room. We try to be positive and upbeat about this whole experience. But it is hard to keep in mind that, at least this time, Ryan's hospitalization is not due to his own actions.
I am struggling to empathize with him, and I keep the issue on the top of my short-list with God.
Sometimes I wish life would be easier. Or less stressful.
Then I take a refresher course in Christ-Following-101 and I remember that we are not called to a life of ease. We are not called to be comfortable. We are not called to be of the world, with her disgusting ego and gross air of entitlement. We are called to take up our cross and follow Him who went before us, daily. We are called to die to sin, and thus die to self. We are to serve, not self-serve. We are called to love and give, not hate and take. I am so grateful God slaps me upside the head and keeps my selfishness in check.
No comments:
Post a Comment