"He is a work tool. NOT A PET. NOT A PET. NOT A PET." I repeated those words over and over and over when Kevin decided that he wanted another K9... Yes, another!
Backstory: In October of 2005 we got our first K9. Cinta. A Hollandeese Shepherd. She was an amazing trial dog and won Kevin a few plaques and trophies during competition. BUT (isn't there always a but?) Cinta was not a functional police dog. Meaning, she would not - NOT - bite anyone. After a few opportunities to prove her worth, the department gave up on her.
Cinta was our first "pet" together. She kept me company through long graveyard hours before she qualified to be on the street. She kept me company during the day when Kevin slept. She slept on the bed with me, and no where was off-limits for her. She spent (what I experienced of it) my pregnancy as my constant companion.
In November 2006, my dad bought Cinta and the department got Kevin a new K9 partner. This one we had for a couple weeks before she (we appropriately named her "Zero") developed an eye infection and lost an eye. This obviously is NOT the makings of a good K9 partner, so the department asked for another dog to be shipped to us, from the kennel in N.C. that gets the dogs from Holland. Well, dog #3 never made it. The night before she was set to fly, she got ahold of the kennel owner's daughter's jacket, and ate it. The zipper got caught in the dog's small intestine, and we don't know what actually became of her.
In January 2007, after months without a K9 partner, Kevin gave the department the go-ahead for another dog. Yes, my husband decided that he wanted another K9... My first thoughts? "What the....?!"
So, a male Belgian Malinios came to us in January 2007. I got to name him, as long as it "sounded tough".. I am a HUGE Yankees fan, and we tossed around "Joe" and "Jeter" and "Babe" until Kevin finally agreed to Bronx. He is a goofy dog. I mean, he acts like a retard. He thinks that he is a lap dog and wants to cuddle all the time. His tongue hangs out the side of his mouth and he just doesn't look smart. In May of 2007, Bronx qualified for street patrol, and has gone to work with Kevin every day since.
Present day: Bronx lives with us, but he is not a house dog. Yet.
Kevin is slowly trying to butter me up for the "okay" to let the dog come in and officially be part of the family. I am resistant because I was heartbroken when Cinta didn't work out. Yes, she was just a dog. Is. And yes, I still get to see her whenever I want out at my parents' place. But I just know if I let this dog into my life, my heart, that I will end up having to be sad over the dog. I just don't want to be disappointed again. Circumstances are different this K9 around, and Bronx already has a street bite to prove his worth, but...
Bronx has been allowed to come into the house a few times this week, when Kevin has come home for his lunch break. He is confined to the rug by the door. But Justice LOVES him. She pulls on his tail, and tries to ride him like a horse. He LOVES the attention from her. I think that it is good for Jus to be around a dog, as she is still showing signs of fear from when Cinta bit her in February.
So, I guess I am being worn down, and the fact that I even blogged about it will probably make Kevin think Ive made up my mind. Geez. Sometimes I wish life could be simpler. At least a little thing like a dog shouldn't be so complicated. But add a badge and hundreds of hours of training, and there you go: instant confusion.
I think that getting a dog in the first place is a hard decision and letting a K9 in has to be harder. And after everything you have been through with K9s I can completly understand why you are hesitant. When/If the time is right you will know.
ReplyDeleteI think the most positive thing of all is that Justice is warming up to him being around. I'm glad her fear seems to be lessening.
Julie,
ReplyDeleteAs they say, kids know best when it comes to strangers and animals. I know how you feel and Spike is outside during the day but when it is really hot or cold or the boys just want him inside, he comes in. The rule is when he comes in he lays down in the room we are in, or he goes to bed. We have had Spike longer then Ethan has been born. WHen it was time to retire Spike someone in the city asked Adam will he be willing to give him back to the city and Adam's reply is "you would have to fight my wife and kids". Spike is and will always be one of the family. Just like you said when on the streets he is one dog but when he is home he is another. I tell Adam that Spike is our 3rd son and Ethan is our 4th. Let your kids experience the love of a dog in their home. Our kids get to have a special pet that other children will never get to imagine. These dogs think they are one of the kids. Let him be.