Friday, July 17, 2009

Larry Dean

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour." -Unknown This quote struck me sad. It reminds me of my Bubba. My maternal grandfather. I remember years and years ago being at my aunt's (anna) and watching a home movie that my Bubba had made, and it was a lot of scenery. A lemon tree, maybe? He passed away in January of 1998. I can't say I actually remember much of him. I cannot for the life of me remember his voice, and that makes me immeasurably sad. I do remember the sparkle in his eyes, the stories he would read to me, and some other random memories that pop up when I think hard like, "Wait up, Larry, I've got ta put my teeth in" and "Bubba! Where you go-in?". Every year since I was a freshman in high school, I have sent a green balloon with "Happy Birthday, Bubba" written on it, up to Heaven. I even tried to have my daughter on his birthday. Well, I ended up in the hospital with contractions, anyway. I never remember him mad or sad. I guess I'm lucky. When I grow up, I want to be happy, just like my Bubba.

No comments:

Post a Comment