Thursday, October 15, 2009

Today is the day!

In mere minutes I will be heading off to the doctor's office to receive my first of 6 Lupron injections. I am nervous and a little worried.
Here is some information about Lupron, so you will have a kind of idea what I will be going through:
I will also have add-back therapy, where estrogen will be administered back into my system, to help alleviate the side effects.
What is Lupron?
Lupron is a man-made form of a hormone that regulates many processes in the body. Leuprolide overstimulates the body's own production of certain hormones, which causes that production to shut down temporarily. It reduces the amount of testosterone in men or estrogen in women.

Lupron is used in women to treat symptoms of endometriosis (overgrowth of uterine lining outside of the uterus) or uterine fibroids.
Lupron side effects:

bone pain;
swelling, rapid weight gain;
pain, burning, stinging, bruising, or redness where the medication was injected;
feeling like you might pass out;
painful or difficult urination;
urinating more often than usual; or
sudden headache with vision problems, vomiting, confusion, slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, or slow breathing.
Rare but serious side effects may include:
pain or unusual sensations in your back;
numbness, weakness, or tingly feeling in your legs or feet;
muscle weakness or loss of use; and
loss of bowel or bladder control.
Less serious Lupron side effects may include:
acne, increased growth of facial hair;
dizziness, weakness, tired feeling;
hot flashes, night sweats, chills, clammy skin;
nausea, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain;
skin redness, itching, or scaling;
joint or muscle pain;
vaginal itching or discharge
breast swelling or tenderness;
loss of interest in sex;
depression, sleep problems (insomnia), memory problems; or
redness, burning, itching, or swelling where the shot was given.
*This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Signs of an allergic reaction to Lupron:
 hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
So, wish me luck, and say a prayer. I am sure God will have His mighty hand on me as I take this next step in getting myself completely healthy.. Thanks!

1 comment: