Wow. What a powerful prayer of surrender!
Thinking this week about my aging great grandmother, and pondering the frailty of earthly living, I am struck by the phrase strong-willed. Though my memories of this wonderful lady aren't of her being necessairily strong willed, but it got the spaghetti thoughts flowing, and I ended up at strong willed.
Strong. Willed. For devout followers of Christ, shouldn't that be a bad thing, in the context of how the rest of the world views it? Strong. Willed. Strong is a good thing. Strength in Jesus is most insurpassable. But only strength in Christ. Not fleshly muscles that wither away (not implying the being physically strong is a bad thing). Strength of Godly character. Strength in faith. Strength in love. Willed. Implying that the will of the person is their own. That they have their own agenda. That they are obstinate, even. Resisting authority.
For Christians I think that it is important that we recognize the will of God is the will we should have. The only will. Knowing that He knows best, believing that He is the ultimate Authority. Relinquishing our lives, our hearts, desires, goals, to His plan for our lives. Pastors often talk about submitting to the will of God. But I don't want to just submit, like a broken being. I want to thrive in the will of God. I want to be joyful in the will of God. I want to spend eternity in the will of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment