It's no secret to anyone who knows me, that I am a Yankee fan. So it is with a slightly prejudice heart that I address the following issue : the umpires. Yes, baseball fans, our achelis heel. The burr in our sides. The 'blue'. There have been some particularly heinous calls this October, leaving one blogger to call it "Blindtober".
Last night, game 2 of the World Series, was no exception to the bad-calls phenomenon that is plaguing baseball. To start things off, I must recognize that the Yankees have prospered at one time or another - as every team has - from a bad call by an Ump. I do not believe that the Yankees' have piggybacked the questionable calls in their favor all the way to the world championship series of games.
However, do I believe there were unquestionably bad calls during the ALCS? Yes. Do I believe that Utley got a bad call last night? Um, sure. But I also saw that Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard grabbed the ball off the ground, which was ruled a catch, and Posada and Johnny Damon (who hit the line drive) were called out on a double play when both were quite obviously safe, since the ball quite obviously (I saw dirt puff up!) hit the ground.
Maybe having instant replay would be good for baseball. Maybe human error is part of the rich history of the game of baseball, and who is Bud Selig to change it? Maybe the addition of a replay machine would continue the downhill slide into the oblivion of mockery that the steroid debacle started? Who's to say?
But I do know that game 3 of the 2009 World Series is on tomorrow, and I also know that I wouldnt be anywhere else but on the couch, watching it - save for those pesky trick-or-treators that ring my bell.
No comments:
Post a Comment