Saturday, December 31, 2011

...Reflecting on 2011...

It has me somber, thinking this year of milestones is nearly over. I would be remiss if I didn't take pause to thank God Himself for allowing me the opportunity to draw nearer Him, learning more of His character, and serving Him.


In January I completed my 2nd 21-day full fast. It is always an enriching time, when I seek His will on a deeper level. I pray for a specific area of my life, with urgency and fervor.

In February Kevin turned 31 and the Green Bay Packers won the Superbowl. Needless to say, it was a time of excitement at the Kent home.

In March Kevin celebrated his 10-year anniversary with Lodi PD. It has been a blessing to watch the majority of his career thus far from the front row. Also in March, I had my last laparoscopy.
Kayden turned Three and a new world unfolded before my very eyes as he became (in his own mind) "a big boy".

April started out exciting as Kevin and I celebrated our 5-year wedding anniversary, but quickly turned to melancholy as Justice turned Five and we realized we can't keep our kids as babies forever. We also got to visit with my very special Aunt who lives in Virginia. (I miss you AA).

In May, Justice graduated preschool and again I was reminded that time is flyin and kids grow up quickly.

In June I faced my own mortality in turning 27 years old, and realized that the inevitable THIRTY is right around the corner! I also had my full hysterectomy, and spent my first night completely away from husband and children. It was brutal being away from my family.

July came and went with post-op appointments and recovery. I taught my first VBS class, with my most favorite friend, Joan..

August brought forth new adventures as Justice started Kindergarten, lost her first tooth, and Kevin started his new (TEMPORARY) assignment as SRO.

In September, my dad turned the big Five-Oh. I suffered the first of many "inabilities" to say NO and was voted Secretary of St. Peter PTL.. Lodi PD got a new Chief (from Stockton!).

October was another busy month. We went camping for a week in the snow (in October!) at Bear River. Kayden started Preschool. We successfully navigated our first double-booked weekend of harvest faires at two different locations (one church and one school- more inabilities to say "NO"). Justice also lost tooth #2, and got Awards in school for 1st QT Academic Excellence, Citizenship, and Perfect Attendance.

November seemed to pass by in a blur. PORAC confrence in Reno, Thanksgiving, family pictures... Being busy coordinating schedules and shuttling kids here-and-there kept me going. Well, that and my usual morning coffee at my favorite spot! Our church's evening service Churchnasium has a new Administrator (me), and a blog is up-and-running.

December. Sheesh. The year is over already. It's been our first December in a few years that Kevin hasn't been on vacation. We are coping to the adjustment and looking toward 2012 with hope, expectation of good things and reliance on God to sustain us completely. In the meantime, I have learned how to step-up, and have pulled off the single-parent thing successfully, holding down the fort and managing the busy end-of-semester/ Christmas parties of two active students at St. Peter Lutheran School.


Here are a few more fun statistics from this year:
Price of unleaded gasoline per gallon, in Lodi: $3.49
Price of a gallon of 1% milk (which is what we drink): $3.19
Price of a gallon of chocolate milk (the kids' favorite): $3.99
Song most played at our home: The Light In Me by Brandon Heath.
Favorite family-night movies: the Pirates of the Carribbean series.
Favorite meal: my spaghetti
Favorite pastime: getting a coffee at our special spot, House Of Coffees, and watching the Green Bay Packers win! And us Kents love to be together. It's what we do.
Julie's Most Memorable Moment of 2011: both kids being in school, and becoming a Packers Owner!
Kevin's: Justice starting Kindergarten, Kayden starting PreSchool
Justice: "Losing my two teeth"
Kayden: "I got a Dargon Castle for Christmas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment