This is a story to tell your friends. If you ever wanted to meet someone who didn't know they were pregnant until 32 weeks along, you already know one. Yes, you read that right. 32 weeks. The story in interesting but long, so strap in and grab a soda - here we go.
April Fools Day 2006
This is where we decided to entrust our relationship, our baby, the problems and issues and concerns to God. We decided to do the only thing we could at that point to prove our dedication to eachother and the path God so obviously chose for us - we decided to get married.
In October of 2005 my boyfriend (now husband) and I spent 21 marvelous days traveling Europe. Something like 11 countries. Amazing. We became worldly wine connoisseurs and tried virtually every beer Germany has to offer. (that may be a slight exaggeration, but we did taste quite a few). Somewhere along the way I got very sick. A pharmesist on a tour of Cologne with us picked up some medication to help me feel better. She made a point to ask me if I was pregnant. "Nope." Why did I have any reason to suspect? I was... to avoid 'TMI', let's just say there was NO WAY that pregnancy would have ever creeped into conscious thought. This medication was supposed to basically force a miscarriage if taken while pregnant, but I didnt care - I had no reason to, and I just wanted to feel better. Who wants to travel Europe with a fever, earache, and no voice?
November 2005 I started training at the Police Academy. Following my dreams never made my dad more proud. The end of December marked the end of the pre-Academy and I just couldnt wait until January and the start of the rest of my life. The Academy started in January of 2006 and I was more excited than I had ever been in life up to that point. Finally! The ball is rolling in the direction of my career! Until One rainy February day, when that darling boyfriend decided to bring home an EPT. "What's this? Why?" I couldn't think of a more horrible thing than being pregnant in that instant. His reason? Just an urge. Divine intervention, maybe. I had put on a few pounds (like 5 maybe), but I had no (and I do mean ZERO) reason to suspect that I could be pregnant.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S POSITIVE??????
Yes, affirmative, 10-4....Positive. I spent that whole day crying, completely devastated. Crushed. I went in that night and turned in my Academy equipment and Sam Browne belt, completely lost in a cloud of confusion. The next day I went to the doctor to get blood drawn, so I could see just how pregnant I was. When the results came back "1-2 months" I thought that maybe there was hope for returning to the Academy. I might get to graduate before I had a baby! Hope, at last. However, shortlived. A visit to the lady-doctor shocked everyone when the RNP did an ultrasound and the measurements were that I was 22 weeks along. When she moved the handle across my abdomen she turned the little baby inside me, and there was another heartbeat! Two! Twins?! Really?! "I'm not qualified to read these so you need to go across town to the actual technition." After a break in the afternoon, the ultrasound technition confirmed I was pregnant, 32 weeks to be exact, with a single baby girl. Her advice? "Go buy a crib, guys!"
April Fools Day 2006
This is where we decided to entrust our relationship, our baby, the problems and issues and concerns to God. We decided to do the only thing we could at that point to prove our dedication to eachother and the path God so obviously chose for us - we decided to get married.
Because I had quite literally not had prenatal care for the baby, I was fussed over by the doctor. I had not, up until that point, gained weight consistant with being 32 weeks along in a pragnancy. In the remaining 8 weeks I gained 60 pounds. I had gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and high blood pressure.
April 1, 2006 Kevin and Julie became husband and wife before God, family and friends.
11 days later (on my due date) I went to the doctor's office, and she decided to enduce me the next morning, because of my health issues. So at 6am on April 13, 2006, my husband and I went to the hospital and I was promply hooked up to Potocin through an IV.. After 6 hours and zero dialation, the good doctor used this gigantic knitting needle-looking thing to break my water. Alas, by 10pm we were discussing Epidurals. All of a sudden and FHM (fetal heartrate moniter) started beeping like crazy - baby girl's heart rate dropped! Before I knew what was happening, this huge Russian anesthesiologist had an Epidural in and they were rolling my bed into the O.R.. Justice Nicole Kent was born via Cesarean at 10:26pm. 9lbs 1oz and 20in long. Get this: She was a COMPLETELY HEALTHY baby girl!!!! I am convinced that because my husband and I followed God's plan for our life, Justice was given to us 100% healthy. Beautiful. She had almost no prenatal care, and we had no testing done. Yet, God blessed us through it all.
Daddy holding Justice, and Mommy getting her first look at the perfect angel 
Daddy holding Justice, and Mommy getting her first look at the perfect angel Our darling daughter Justice playing at the park, June 2009
Oh my goodness Julie, this story pulls at my heart. I had no clue this is what you and your husband went through, and look at you now. I am so proud of you for pushing through and making the beautiful life that you have! :)
ReplyDelete