Friday, March 16, 2012

...Tabernacle Experience...

...Wow... I don't know if I have ever had such a faith-impacting experience by just visiting a single place. This was special. Amazing. Life-changing.
First, let me explain the circumstances surrounding the experience at Saddleback, with a copy of an email that Kevin and I wrote to them:
Our friends at Saddleback,
Sorry for the delayed email, we just returned home on a 400-mile drive from Southern California. First of all, we completely appreciate you opening your church for the Tabernacle Experience. Our family drove 7+ hours in a whirlwind trip just to come to Saddleback to see it! We want to thank you for the information on your webpage. We were even able to book a hotel room per your recommendations listed! Upon arriving at the Campus, we were not greeted warmly. In fact, we were not greeted at all! Not even a "hello" or "Welcome" from the volunteers running the Tabernacle Experience.
We signed in at 10:45am and were told the wait would be two and a half hours. We were not directed to a place to wait, invited to explore the campus, or told the Refinery was open.
We felt like we were an inconvenience, even after explaining how long we had driven, and that we didn't mind the wait. Traveling with two small children, hundreds of miles, is an experience in itself. We were deflated and disheartened to be dismissed without care. We did not mind the wait, it was the way we were told to wait that was, in our opinions, unacceptable.
When we asked about a place to wait, or how we would know it was our turn, we were told "you will be called." No further instruction was given. We invited ourselves to walk around your beautiful campus, and found the main worship center building with signage with the Refinery's hours. Needless to say, we were thrilled to find a place to sit, and we ended up eating lunch from the deli. Unfortunately we only got 2/3 of our lunch order in a timely manner. Someone "forgot" about the cheeseburger we ordered and we were never called back up to get it. After 20 minutes, I went back up to the counter and was told that "someone else must have taken it" and basically it was our problem. Luckily another lady overheard my plight and went to the grill to check on the cheeseburger. It was "found" and while we were disappointed with having to wait for 30 minutes for a cheeseburger, the food tasted good.
After waiting two hours of our two and a half hour wait time, we went back to the Tabernacle Experience and "checked in" with the same volunteer who had dismissed us. He neither looked at his list, nor seemed to care about his responsibility to manage the wait list. We overheard and saw people ask him about the wait and he just as readily dismissed them. We were told that "this is the way it is. If you don't like it, you can come back tomorrow and get in line at 8:30am." We again explained that we had driven over 7 hours to be there, and that we would continue to wait with our children, for our turn. The volunteer said that he would call us up when it was our turn, but did not even point out the chairs behind the tent, for us to have a seat while waiting.
We also overheard this volunteer tell an older lady who was already upset about the long wait, who asked him why the wait was so long, and he responded "we run 85 people per hour through here. If you think you have a better idea, email ......" and he gave the visibly upset woman an email address. This was in full view and earshot of everyone waiting for the Experience. Should we have been unchurched or nonbelievers, this would have been a tragedy, that a member or volunteer of the "church" would be so rude and hostile. After a few more minutes of waiting, he asked a group of people who were also waiting what their sign-in time was.
They said they had signed in at noon. He asked the large group of people waiting if anyone was there, or had signed in before noon. We said we had signed in at 10:45am and he told us to get in line for the Experience.
While we are positive that this in NOT how Saddleback treats it's visitors and guests, we are still shocked at the lack of consideration and decency.
...On to the Tabernacle...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I snuck a single picture, and I think that it is one of my favorite things about this experience: the gate!
I could go on and on and on about how perfectly this illustration became real to me, but I will spare you. But I do find it absolutely awesome that everything, even down to the gate points to Jesus. Because of the wall around the Tabernacle and the courtyard, the Israelites could only enter through the gate. So, too, can we only enter the courts of God in Heaven, by the Way that is Jesus! He is our gateway to Heaven, to God, and to eternal life with Him. ....Can you hear me swoon?
The first thing that struck me about the Tabernacle, was how ordinary it looked. As if she could read my mind, the lady on the mp3, providing the narrative for the tour said, "Although it may look humble, these tents were designed by God, and each specific detail served a purpose." I was blown away. The tour hadn't even started yet, and God was working on me! I felt rebuked, in the best kind of way. I felt God whisper in my heart, "And what do people see when they look at you, Julie? Do they see My dwelling place?" [this gives me new tools to motivate my Churchnasium teammates! I am excited to go to church on Sunday!]
The tour had 9 'stations'. Each with a 3-5 minute explanation of the details that make the Tabernacle so special and amazing. After the intro, we went to a station where we received a 5"x5" square of white linen. Symbolizing the linens what the Priests and Levites that cared for the Tabernacle wore, it also reminded us that we are all washed clean and pure as the white linen. If only we accept God's grace, and ask Jesus into our lives to remove our sins. Next we move to the altar where the sacrifices were made. We each got a shim, and got to throw it into the fire, and watch it burn for a minute. I know I keep saying it, but WOW. Just watching the flames lick the wood, I was brought to tears of thankfulness. No longer am I bound to a Law that I cannot keep, but I was bought and paid for, at a price much higher than the life of an innocent cow or ram. Hallelujah! After that, we went to the wash basin, the Laver, where we washed our hands. Again, all things point to Jesus, who cleanses us head-to-toe with His mercy, His love, and His blood.
We made our way to the Tabernacle proper, stopping to "pay" the ransom of an Israelite, a Silver half shekel. Upon entering, we were struck with the ambiance. Literally. The cloud of smoke from the incense hit us like a wall. It took a moment to get used to it, and for our eyes to adjust to the very low lighting. The Lampstand was directly to our left. As the voice on the mp3 recited Scriptures, and drew the parallel from the lights to God's presence, we were invited to extinguish a single flame, and relight it, representing our own desires for God's face to shine upon us. I think this was Justice's most favorite part, as it is one of the only parts that she tells people about, when they ask of her experience. (That, and communion.) On the opposite side of the Holy Place, was the table and bread. We were invited to partake in communion, and reflected on Christ's life. In the center of the room, was the Altar of Incense. As we prayed, I couldn't help but imagine my prayers encircling the very Throne of God, as the incense created a cloud around me as I stood. It was an empowering vision, one I am sure I will cling to as I pray.
We were instructed to take a stick on incense and proceed forward, pulling back the Curtain to the Most Holy Place. My skin tingled! Even now, my eyes blur with tears, remembering the precious truth that when Jesus Christ died on the cross, the Curtain was ripped, from top to bottom. There is no longer a separation between God and I! Thank You, Jesus for the victory. For the very Way into the presence of the Almighty Father!
In the center of the Most Holy Place, was the Ark of the Covenant. What struck me instantly, however, was the beautiful Mercy Seat! Holy are You, Lord God Almighty. I cannot even begin to describe the feelings somersaulting inside of me. All I wanted to do was shout praises to my God. My Atonement. My Savior. My Hero.

Thanks for reading, and may God richly bless you,

No comments:

Post a Comment