Monday, March 12, 2012

...My Lesson In Perseverance...

13.1 Miles.
It doesn't really seem like the word "distance" even applies to that number. BUT... when you run those miles, you believe with every exhausted muscle, that 13.1 miles is indeed DISTANCE.

When I crossed that finish line on Sunday, after punishing my body for two hours and forty-eight minutes straight, I felt every single step of  that  "distance". God spoke to me so much during that grueling run, that I just have to share. Somehow. The Truths revealed in to any one man are not to be kept  hidden in solitude.
James 1:12 says "12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
When I crossed the finish line, and my d-tac timer beeped, I felt immediate relief. And pain. (but that's another story.) I didn't feel accomplished, I felt tired. I didn't feel victorious, I felt beat-up. I told my husband, "I didn't run that half marathon, that half marathon ran ME!" and I meant it. The only redeeming quality of that run was the medal I received. I finished. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't easy. And more than once I contemplated quitting. But God nudged me forward and carried me that final mile and a half. The devil gave me every opportunity to damn myself and give up. My gps watch lost signal at mile 11.63 and froze til the end of the race. There was no Mile 12 marker, so that stretch from 11.63 miles to the stadium finish was grueling. My ipod died around mile 11. I literally stopped running about a mile from the finish and had a heart-to-heart with God Himself. "Lord", I said, "if You want me to finish, You are just going to have to carry me. I can't take another step." I bet I looked insane to those speeding past me. But I don't care. And I didn't in that moment, either.
Somehow, by His divine grace, I started walking. Then running. All the way through to the end, with tears streaming down my face.
"To him who perseveres..." So much in life is harder than that half marathon could ever be. Life is rough, and unpretty, causing us to sweat and cry and hurt and bleed. But oh, the sweet crown that will be cast at the Feet of Him who is Worthy! I don't even want it. . . Not to keep. Because I won't earn it. He is earning it for me. I am standing in the middle of the street, telling God that He has to do all the work. I can't do it by my flesh. And when He completes that work in me, through me, and by me, that victory will be His. That medal that was placed around my neck serves as a reminder to me "You don't deserve this, Julie. You didn't earn it." To God Alone be the glory!
Shamrock'n Half Marathon medal. March 11, 2012
 Praise You, Father, for Your infinite grace and mercy. Let every step I take glorify You. Let every word I speak accomplish Your purpose. I love you, Jesus. In Your Name, above all names I pray. Amen.

Kevin and I post race. I am proud of Kevin, and thankful for his support.

No comments:

Post a Comment