Saturday, July 30, 2011
Mobile Post: ...More Than Flesh...
I have a friend, let's call her "Sue". Sue is not believer in Christ as Savior, and doesn't walk contrary to culture norms. She is very much immersed in her flesh and delights in the exploits of the fallen world.
Sue is obsessed with her looks. She is relentlessly pursuant of "perfection" in the context of her body. BUT she seems unusually unhappy much of the time. She has had countless trysts with men who have used her body, but abandoned her heart. Unwilling to admit the glaringly obvious truth that there is more to life than sexual exploits and meaningless relationships, she throws herself at the mercies of workouts and men who don't love her.
I have realized through her pain that God alone gives us the capacity to be more than culture says we are - mere anatomical parts.
I am more than flesh and bone. Though my body may not be up to societal "par", I am rich in the love of Christ. I have a husband who is devoted to me, and a marriage built on the Rock. I am the proud mother of two beautiful and healthy children.
It is easy to fall into the trap of pity, I struggle not to feel sorry for this lost soul. Instead I am challenged to pray that she would someday be receptive to the Good News and turn her attention on the Gentleman who has never stopped pursuing her.
I do not gloat for my salvation, nor for my realization that my body is not what defines me. I am not diminished in my quest to constantly improve on myself physically, and, more importantly, spiritually.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment