Friday, January 8, 2010

Fasting

The Pastor of my church contacted me this week, and asked if I would share my "fasting testimony" to both services on this coming Sunday. I was more than a little nervous, but after typing it all out, I am more confident that something I might say would be an encouragement to those who either are fasting with us, or who are even thinking about it.
So here it is. Dont worry, I will NOT be reading this on Sunday. It was just an outline for me to gather my thoughts and decide on what to share, and what to edit. For those of you not attending BCCC, I hope that reading my story, as it has unfolded so far, will be encouraged. My prayer is that the Lord will use me.

For the past few months I had felt spiritually dry. I couldnt feel the Lord moving in my life. I felt that I needed a huge spiritual breakthrough. There were situations in my life, surrounding my family in particular, that was making me feel resentful and prideful. It was aweful. I was literally crying out for a fresh Word from God. Through prayer and meditation, God showed me that I had put Him in a box, and how badly I had neglected Him. I had made my life so busy that I had to "make" time for God.


I had a revelation, where God knocked on the door to my home. Would I "make" time for Him, or would I send Him away, to return when the chores were done, and the kids were napping? God showed me that I needed to live in the reality that I have already invited Him into my heart, my life and my home. I needed to start living with Him as the center of my world. Not my kids, and not my husband. I needed to include Him in everything that I do. Praise Him for everything, not just sing a couple songs on Sundays.

I prayed for a long time about fasting, and having completed a few shorter ones, had decided to start the New Year with a 21 day fast. When I heard that the church was going to do a corporate fast, I was encouraged. I felt the Lord telling me that I needed to get back to the simplicity of our love affair. To get back to my true love.

So, for 21 days, I am not eating food. No solids at all. I am drinking lots of water, Sobe waters, broths, teas, coffee and milk, on the advice of my doctor, when I have to take my medications. I feel I need to unclutter my life from the distractions that I had let overrun my life. I am convinced that when you starve your body, your spirit becomes more tuned in to God. I am so inspired by David, when he wrote in Psalm 42 "...deep calls unto deep..." I want to feel that intimacy with God. I want the deepest part of me to reach out for Him.

Already I have seen God work some amazing things in my life, and the lives of those around me. A ministry opportunity that I have been praying for just opened to me. The prayers of my darling daughter, who will be 4 soon, have become complex words of love, not just the same prayers she has memorized from years of me telling them to her. My dad was baptized last Sunday. Praise God! That was a miracle. I have been able to witness to people who were previously unreachable, and one friend will even be coming with me to Club 31! My prayers have become more focused and I can honestly feel the power of my words when I speak them in prayer.

Keeping a journal has really been the key to my ability to have a sucessful fast. Writing down my prayer 'hit list' in the beginning was a great way to start off. And the fasting journal by Jentzen Franklin has inspired me to pray for things that I would never have thought of before. It keeps my prayers in an organized place. During the first couple days of a fast like this, when the hunger pains can drive a person crazy, it is important to have some way to keep your prayer requests organized.

I would like to encourage anyone and everyone who has never fasted before, to consider it in prayer before the Father. If you feel spiritually dry, if you are in a season of waiting for something to happen, but you dont know what that something is, consider fasting. You can fast for anything. A breakthrough, a release from bondage, to quit an adiction, anything. It really is something that is spiritually sound, and something that isnt practiced enough. It's not for fanatics, or only for pastors. Fasting is for everyone.

I hope that it's not too long. I feel so led to share.
To: Aunt Audra and any other family/friends that want to see my attempt at sharing live, please go to www.bearcreekchurch.com/live at either 9am or 11am, PST.
 
 
**********************************************************************************
All that being said, the real update is that today is day # 8. I must admit, that the hunger pains have died, but the urge to eat everything in sight every time I walk into my kitchen hasn't subsided one iota. I have a nagging feeling that if I am not careful, after the 21 days, I will gain a hundred pounds due to overeating! LOL...
 
Please know that I am praying the Lord's blessing on you as you read this. I love you, and appreciate your caring enough to stop by and check up on me.
Thank you, from the deepest part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment