Thursday, May 20, 2010

The things that I have learned about a Christian marriage Part I

4 years, 1 month and 19 days. (2 hour and ..... 8 minutes at the time of this post)
That is how long I have been married. Sometimes I am amazed that Kevin and I have been married for such a short time, because of everything that we have been through these past 4 years. In total, our relationship spans the course of (almost) 6 years (081704). I met Kevin in 2000, but I can say that I have 'known' him since March 2001, when he got hired at LPD. Sheesh, that seems like forever ago!
Over the trubulant and joyous time since we made our covenant before God and man, there are some truths that I have learned about marriage. I am not saying that these truths are applicable to every marriage, I just think that they are pretty mainstream to the Christian marriage today.

TRUTH #1- It doesnt matter if you gain 30 pounds, have 2 kids, and are covered in stretch marks; he still wants to see you naked. (plus more).
I gained 60 pounds in the 6 week pregnancy I had with Justice. (For more info on this phenomenon, please read the 'Justice' post). I have a 10-inch scar from the cesarian section that was required to remove our beautiful 9-lb 1-oz girl from my body. Just 22 months later, my abdomen was inflicted with another 10.5-inch incision that is now a scar; this one marks the birth of our 9-lb 6-oz son. Stretch marks cover my breasts, my stomach, my sides, and my thighs. Apparently my skin has zero elasticity. But seriously, my stomach looks like it was mauled by a tiger. However, my husband's eyes cannot see them. It really is the most amazing thing. In August of last year, I had a laperoscopy. The 3 incisions left 3 scars on my abdomen.  I am completely repulsed by my body, and the scars and stretch marks that litter my midsection. It baffles me that he can look at me and see a beautiful woman. It mystifies me that he can look at my body and be turned on. Alas, it is a truth. I think that if more of us women are courageous enough to bare our bareness to our husbands, they would be altogether happier people.

TRUTH #2- He will never understand why we take so long to get ready, seek approval, and change outfits.
I am definately guilty of this, from time to time. I take care to pick out an outfit that I think looks good, especially if it's for a 'date'. I select articles of clothing that might not be the most comfortable. I take care to squeeze into clothing that I think looks 'good'. Then I parade myself in front of my husband, despirate for a compliment. He seldom disappoints. I typically read way too much into this compliment, and end up changing my outfit, thinking that I dont look as good as he says I do. Well, that, and the 'uncomfortable!' thought finally makes it's way to the forefront of my mind.
I think we would make things easier on ourselves, and our husbands, if we just go with what we feel good in, versus what I think I look good in, when selecting outfits. Who am we trying to impress anyway? We already married the loves of our lives, why do we care what the matre'd thinks?

TRUTH 3- Well, you're going to have to wait for the next post. I have to get dinner ready for my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment