Thursday, April 7, 2011

...LOVE...

Well, I have to tell you: I am in love. Not the fleeting lust-type of "love" that one imagines after seeing someone through physical eyes (ie - "love at first sight"). I am talking about the love that grows from periods of talking, silence, breathing, and doing life with another. Intimate, not-withholding, pure, passionate L-O-V-E.
I am in love with God.
My heart's desire is to be in His presence. I need Him. I look to steal moments away from my responsibilities, to seek Him.
I have loved God for quite some time, and have professed Jesus as my very own personal Savior for years, but recently I found that my devotion was lacking. Sure, I go to church. Sure, I am involved in many Bible studies. Yes, I serve. Oh, boy, do I serve! But I was struck by conviction that I was only self-serving. My motives were impure. My heart wasn't in it.
I have the opportunity to be in a class at the church on Wednesday mornings. Four Keys To Hearing God's Voice by Mark Verkler is the subject matter. Last night, after employing those keys to my devotional time, God spoke to me, through my journaling. While what He said was largely personal, I was brave enough to read it to a trusted spiritual counsel. The affirmation spoke volumes to me about how deep my "love" for God was, if He was this close to me my whole life, and I just now decided to ask Him to speak to me. I have spent hours upon hours on my knees in prayer. But all I did was confess, repent, and petition God. I asked Him to use His Word to speak to me, and in subtle ways, He did. But that was nothing at all like this experience.
It has taken our relationship to the next level. It has opened my eyes to Who I am speaking to, and Who is answering me.
I do not love a God who is far away, a figureless presence in the clouds somewhere beyond reach. I serve a personal God. A God who loves. A God who speaks, Who answers, Who gives.
A God who gave His only Son for me to even be able to speak to Him!
Hallelujah!

Precious Lord,
You are God of All. You are the Alpha and the Omega. Your ways are perfect. You are the very definition of love.
Thank-You, Lord, for showing me just how accessible You are. Thank-You for showing me how much You love me. Thank-You for the wise counsel You have blessed me with, and friends that share the same love for You.
Thank-You, O Lord that You speak to me. That You sought me out, that You chose me.
I praise Your Name, Heavenly Father. You are good.
Continue to speak to me, as I earnestly seek to hear from You. Show me Your ways, that I may testify to Your great love and mercy.
I love You, Lord. I want to be more than just a Jesus-girl on Sundays. I want to be in a place where I live out Your grace daily.
You are the Potter. I am Your clay. Shape me, Lord.
In Jesus' gracious, mighty and saving Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment