Friday, February 12, 2010
Lent
Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday and it marks the beginning of the season of Lent, which is concidered the most important season in Christianity. It is the beginning of a 46 day long period, ending on Easter Sunday. Traditionally, Lent is thought to be 40 days and 40 nights, but it hardly ever ends up that short. Due to the equinox and leap years, the time that is Lent varies every year.
Most Christians decide to fast during this time, whether it be from tv or chocolate, everyone is encouraged to sacrifice something to remember -no, to celebrate the sacrifice Christ made on the cross.
This year, I have decided to fast. I am giving up all food and taking only water from sun up to sun down. After sunset, I will fast Daniel-style. Fruits and veggies only. During this time of sacrifice, I am praying for a breakthrough. A spiritual breakthrough and a financial breakthrough. I am praying for Divine direction. I am doing what I feel called to do, to honor the Lord.
I encourage everyone to get out of their comfort zone this year, and fast something. (my first fast 6 years ago was from chocolate over Lent, last year I fasted "my" time and read the Bible -cover to cover- over Lent). Celebrate your salvation by honoring the Lord. In the book of Matthew, Jesus calls us to give, pray, and fast.
I pray the goodness of the Lord would surround you every day and that you would be moved in a mighty way.
In Him,
Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment